Tel. : +39 075 812321
location : Assisi
City : historic centre
•It is located in the lower part of Assisi town. There is a reserved car parking place in the square and near the Gate "Porta San Pietro". The street from the parking area to the Abbey has 20 mt long stone paving, with some slopes. The rest of the path has a ground paving (works are in progress for restructuring the square paving). The entrance has a 5 mt long ramp which has a 10% max slope.The entrance has a 69 cm doorway. The suitable part of the Abbey, the central nave, has a paving with some small slopes. There are 5 steps to reach the altar.
•Romanesque crypts. XI century
Tel. : +39 075 8051430
location : Santa Maria degli Angeli
City : Assisi surroundings
•A magnificent Basilica, with a beautiful cupola, built between 1569 and 1679 from the project of Alessi. The interior hosts the Porziuncola (nucleus of the first Franciscan settlement where, in 1211, Santa Chiara received the habit of the Franciscan nuns) and the chapel ( where the Saint died on 3 October 1226), with frescoes by Spagna. The Basilica is five km from Assisi (the train station is 400 meters). For those arriving by car, it is possible to park in the spaces reserved for tourists 150 meters from the Basilica (near the Domus Pacis), there are spaces reserved for people with disabilities. The parking-lot is flat, with an asphalt pavement in the first part; the walkway leading to the entrance of the Basilica is uneven cobble stone, with a 540 cm ramp with an 8% slope followed by two ramps, one 83 cm long and the other 45 cm, before the left side entrance of the Basilica, similar to the one on the right (it has a door with a 94 cm opening). The structure is level and easy for people in wheelchairs to visit. It is possible to access a pathway leading to the Rose garden from the inside through a double door with a 60 cm opening, from the Rose garden to the Viale dell’Annunziata and toward the exit and a stone pavement 260 cm long with a 12% down hill slope. The public restrooms are half way between the parking-lot and the Basilica, two are reserved for people with disabilities and are easy for people in wheelchairs to use, the toilets are 50 cm high and equipped with handles on both sides.
Tel. : +39 075 819001
location : Assisi
City : historic centre
•The Basilica complex is made up of two overlaying churches the Lower Basilica (1228-1230) and Superior Basilica (1230-1253), and the crypt, It is possible to park, for those arriving by car, in the parking-lot reserved for disabled people about 40 meters from the Basilica entrance. The path from the parking-lot to the entrance of the Lower Basilica, has a stone pavement and an average slope of 6%. There is an information office near the entrance, with 5 steps to enter. The Lower Basilica has two entrances, with two 18 cm high steps, depth 135 cm, it is possible to surpass one of the steps through a mobile ramp of >8% slope. The interior of the Lower Basilica has a floor with various slopes that are 4%. The structure is composed of the central and lateral naves, and five Chapels placed on the sides, all with 4 to 6 steps at the entrances. It is possible to reach the Tomb from the lateral nave, there are three flights of stairs (with a total of 27 steps) with handrails on the left and right. On one side of the alter is the entrance to the Chapel of the Sacred remains, which was the chapter-house of the Convent and since 1228 became the residence of the monks, custodians of the Franciscan Sanctuary. Access is by a semicircular ramp (with a total of 17 steps) with a handrail to the right. It is possible to reach the Superior Basilica from: 1) the apse behind the Papal alter: two stairways with 18 steps, handrails to the left and right, lead to a cloister between the two basilicas where there is also a bookshop; from here it is possible to reach the entrance, the one near the presbytery where there is a stairway with 34 steps, a handrail on the left, opening into the Superior Basilica. 2) next to the main entrance of the Lower Basilica is a stairway with 49 steps, a handrail to the left, which goes to the Superior Piazza, where the main entrance to the Superior Basilica is. 3) the only possibility for people in wheelchairs to reach the Superior Basilica is to follow part of Via S. Francesco (60 meters circa), with a 21% slope, and then a walkway of about 50 meters with acceptable slopes (the monks have presented more that one project to connect the two Basilicas by an elevator, hopefully it will soon be accepted). It is possible to reach the Lower Basilica from the lower Piazza, through a fifteenth century portico. The Basilica is decorated by the most important painters from of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries: Cimabue, Giotto, the Lorenzetti, Simone and Martini; the stained-glass windows are by Giovanni di Bonino and Puccio Capanna. The Superior Basilica, with a single nave, is decorated with frescoes by Giotto that illustrate the life of the Saint. There are also works by Cimabue, Cavallini, Torriti and a wooden choir from the fifteenth century.
•The basilica complex is composed of two churches built one above the other – the lower one dating from 1228-1230 and the upper one from 1230-1253 – and of a crypt created in 1818 where the Saint's Tomb is. One enters the Lower Basilica from Piazza Inferiore through a Portico which dates back to the 15th century. Above the beautiful double doorway there are three rose-windows. The Basilica is laid out in a double T shape and was decorated by the greatest painters of the 13th and 14th centuries: Cimabue, Giotto an Simone Martini. The stained glass windows by Giovanni di Bonino and Puccio Capanna are especially beautiful. The Upper Basilica has an undivided nave and is adorned by Giotto's frescos illustrating the life of S. Francis. There are also works by Cimabue, Cavallini and Torriti and a carved and inlaid wooden choir dating from the late 15th century. In the monastery there is a remarkable treasure composed of rare iluminated manuscripts, paintings, reliquiaries, tapestries, church vestements and altar frontals. Of particular interest is the adjacent “Perkins collection” here annexed.