nota: accessibilità ridotta
View Larger Map (Flash)
Piazza del Comune
Via Santa Chiara
Via Borgo Aretino
Monuments and Museums worth to visit:
Chiesa Nuova (Piazzetta Chiesa Nuova)
Oratorio San Francesco Piccolino (Via dei Nepis)
Basilica di Santa Chiara (Piazza Santa Chiara)
From the east side of Piazza del Comune starts Corso Mazzini, the most walked street of the town, which is dominated by the facades of aristocracy‘s old palaces.
From the beginning of the street you can reach on the right, through a 15 meters long path - with a10% slope - the Chiesa Nuova. It has been edified on the rests of a building which was supposed to be San Francesco’s father house (who was born in the adjacent Oratorio di San Francesco Piccolino).
The Oratorio and the Chiesa Nuova are located 50 meters from each other. The distance has brick paving and various slopes, about 10-11% The entrance has a step.
The route proceeds along Corso Mazzini: this street has no particular difficulties, excepting some steps for getting to bars and shops. Down the street you will find the Portella di San Giorgio, remaked during the Middle Age on the place of the old Porta della Cinta Romana. Here is a head sculpted, which represents the coat of arms of Assisi city hall .
After the old gate carry on for about 40 meters of pavement with a 7-7% slope. Here appears the large and irregular shape of the Piazza Santa Chiara (4-5% slope) where dominates the spectacular Italian gothic Basilica (1257-1265).
In this area there are two bars, the “Bar Eugenio” near the Porta Romana, and the “Bar Santa Chiara” near the Basilica, both bars have an accessible toilet for people on wheelchair.
In the direction of the mountain Subasio the square ends with the Porta Santa Chiara, called Porta dei Pucci, from the name of the old building’s owner who was here. It was built around 1260 by the will of the city to protect the Basilica di Santa Chiara.
After the Porta Santa Chiara, starts Borgo Aretino (at the beginning about 6-7% slopes and then almost all on ground) wich was added to the town centre,as from the city plans of buildings of 1316. The borgo Aretino ends with the Porta Nuova, XIV century.